Injuries ‘consistent with struggle in confined space’

Have your say

A WOMAN who was buried alive in a cardboard box had injuries consistent with struggling in a small, confined space, a court heard yesterday.

Michelina Lewandowska, 27, managed to escape from the box after it was placed in a shallow grave in a wood, near Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, Leeds Crown Court has heard.

The jury has been told that Miss Lewandowska was placed in the box by her partner, Marcin Kasprzak, after he had attacked her with a Taser stun gun at their home and then bound and gagged her with tape.

Kasprzak, 25, is on trial with another man, Patryk Borys, 18, charged with attempted murder. The jury was shown images of Miss Lewandowska’s injuries, which included scratches to her neck and one to her back.

Reading from a medical report, Jonathan Sharp, prosecuting, said: “The injuries to her head and neck were consistent with the use of a Taser gun and adhesive tape.”

Mr Sharp added: “The findings of tenderness, bruising and abrasions on her back are consistent with struggling in a small, confined space.”

The jury also saw police photographs and video footage of the scene after Miss Lewandowska’s escape. Carl Akeroyd, a scenes of crime officer with West Yorkshire Police who made the video, described how the box was buried beneath a mixture of leaf litter, top soil and sub soil consisting of compacted soil, branches, twigs and tree roots.

He said the box had been placed in a naturally occurring depression in the wood, around 33 metres from the road, with the remains of a tree placed on top.

Mr Akeroyd said a number of spade marks could also be seen in the soil at the scene.

In cross-examination, Julian Goose QC, for Kasprzak, said: “What we’re not dealing with here is a hole dug deep into the ground and the box put inside and a large quantity of soil put inside to bury the box?” Mr Akeroyd answered: “It’s not a six-foot-deep hole but it is an attempt to conceal.”

The court has heard that Miss Lewandowska, who is Polish, was attacked by Kasprzak because their relationship had come to an end and he wanted their three-year-old son, Jakub.

After Tasering her and taping her hands and feet, she was placed in the boot of a car by the two men before being put in a box and buried in a shallow grave. She used her engagement ring to escape.

Kasprzak, of Penistone Road, Huddersfield, and Borys, of Rashcliffe Hill Road, Huddersfield, deny attempted murder. Both men are also Polish.