One fire engine remains at LMA Chemicals Limited at Pocklington Industrial Estate after the blaze broke out in a container just before 5pm yesterday.
A spokeswoman for Humberside Fire and Rescue Service said this morning: “We still have a crew there, but we have reduced it to one pump.”
Witnesses, including workers at a nearby factory, described hearing “popping” noises before seeing flames coming from the building.
There were reports of a loud explosion or explosions as a container at the aerosol manufacturer in Halifax Way burst into flames.
Simon Townsend, 14, said he was at a nearby skatepark with friends.
“We heard a massive bang and my mate Joe said it was the fireworks place,” he said.
“We walked through first and saw it all happening – I’m just nosy.
“The lass I was with was crying because her uncle works in the estate – loads of people have friends who work there too.”
Vicky Mciver, 47, is managing director of Power Health Products, which employs 60 people nearby.
“I could hear some banging. “I looked out of the window and could see a massive fire coming from a building,” she said.
“It looked like there were wheel rims popping up in the air.
“Someone else came upstairs and we just thought let’s get out of the building.
“Our business has been going for 44 years. Luckily our building has not been touched [by flames]
“Sometimes, in the hot weather, we hear popping.”
More than 50 firefighters were at the scene at one stage, with two aerial appliances and a high volume pump in use.
A water carrier was sent by North Yorkshire Fire service to help with the response and crews from the Yorkshire Ambulance Hazardous Area Response Team were also in attendance.
No-one is reported to have been injured.
There were also concerns that the fire could spread to nearby buildings.
Louise Mciver’s parents own Power Health Products, which is adjacent to LMA Chemicals.
“We came down straight away,” she said. “My sister is the managing director. “She heard some popping and explosions and looked out and saw it, so she rang the fire service. They took ages to get here.
“The fire isn’t touching our building at the moment, but we do have some chemicals in the building.”
Louise’s brother, Nick Mciver, 49, added: “It’s a chemical company so that’s why it’s been so spectacular.
“We saw it on live streaming and thought it was coming from the roof of our building.”
Mr Mciver said he had been worried because his business stocks flammable chemicals.
Plumes of smoke could be seen for miles around, and the fire service was advising people in the area to stay indoors and keep windows closed as a precaution.
The A1079 was closed in both directions between Lotting’s Lane and The Balk for safety reasons, but has now reopened.
Meanwhile, Yorkshire Water warned people in the YO42 postcode that their water supplied might be affected.
It tweeted: “#Y042 #Pocklington Sorry, you may have no water/low pressure due to fire service use of hydrants in the area. Will update when complete.”
Dozens of people have shared videos and pictures on Twitter since the fire started.
Gurdev Singh said: “Huge fire and explosions Halifax Way Pocklington Ind Est”
Grandadshed said: “Oh dear think there’s something on fire on the Pocklington Industrial Estate - Power Health we think!!!”
Emily Kirkland said: “1079 solid, fire on Industrial estate #Pocklington town very busy. Shut Windows, poss aerosol factory gone up!”
Aerosol manufacturer LMA was founded in 1983 and manufacture products for the automotive, industrial, paints, janitorial and veterinary sectors.