Bully boys terrorised Goths in park

A MAN was savagely beaten and had his ear cut off while three others were injured in a horrific night of violence when a gang of "bully boys" decided to rob Goths camping in a park.

Andrew Hall, Ryan Woodhead and Quinn Colley, who described themselves as "Chavs", hatched a plan to attack a group celebrating a teenager's birthday in Rothwell Country Park, Leeds, with a barbecue last August.

Hall, Woodhead and Colley had spent the day drinking and had already demonstrated "vitriolic hostility" to the "Emos" or "Moshers" known for their dark clothing and make-up, Richard Wright, prosecuting, told Leeds Crown Court yesterday.

When they first saw the Goths arriving, Hall, with the others as pillion passengers, drove his scooter at them and shouted abuse. They then hatched their plan to assault and rob them.

Mr Wright said the three turned up pretending to be peaceful. They drank beer with the group and Hall took people to buy cigarettes and alcohol on his scooter, He even apologised for the earlier incident.

Having gained the trust of their victims, they then offered to take Paul Gibbs, the oldest and notional leader to get more beer.

Once away from the others, Hall stopped his scooter and Colley and Woodhead launched a savage attack on Mr Gibbs, who was repeatedly punched and kicked until he lost consciousness and could only remember waking in hospital.

He had suffered a severe head injury, and for a time was in a coma, spending weeks in hospital. Before he was found by police that night in "a barbaric twist" he also had his left ear severed with a knife. Both attackers deny responsibility.

Doctors hope to re-attach it later this year.

Mr Wright said that some of the other Goths went looking for Mr Gibbs. Hall then offered another one a lift. Once again, Hall attacked him and searched his pockets before leaving the area.

Meanwhile, Colley and Woodhead attacked two others. One youth was punched and kicked unconsciousness, waking up only several days later in Leeds General Infirmary, while the second was kicked in the face suffering a bloody nose.

They robbed two girls before following them back to the campsite to continue the terror.

Colley, already on bail for an attack in the same park when he fractured a youth's jaw, said he had been told by "his boss" to kill them, but let them go.

Hall, 22, of Sixth Avenue, Rothwell, Leeds, who admitted conspiracy to rob and grievous bodily harm to Mr Gibbs, was given an indeterminate prison sentence and must serve a minimum of four-and-a-half years.

Woodhead, 18, Seventh Avenue, Rothwell, and Colley, 18, of Wordsworth Drive, Oulton, both Leeds, each admitted conspiracy to rob and grievous bodily harm with intent and were given indeterminate sentences to serve a minimum of two years, 210 days.

Colley also admitted grievous bodily harm in July.

Judge James Spencer QC described them as a "bunch of bully boys" who would only be released when they were considered no longer a danger to the public.