My uncle confessed that hehad shot pub landlord – witness

A MAN told a jury yesterday his uncle confessed to him that he was responsible for shooting dead a pub landlord.

Jason Fisher said he was driving Kevin Fisher to Lincolnshire when his uncle began talking about the death of Tariq Sattar at the Black Bull public house in Halifax Old Road, Birkby, Huddersfield.

Mr Fisher told Leeds Crown Court that his uncle said he had gone into the pub with Paul Lovell, and they had waited inside for Mr Sattar to return.

He said he was told when Mr Sattar got home “Kevin and Lovell got him in the cellar, Lovell sprayed him with CS gas and Kevin took the gun out and threatened him with it. He took the safety catch off and bent down on one knee, holding the gun over him.

“Kevin then said the gun went off accidentally, and he shot him dead. He said Lovell got 400 out of the safe but Kevin didn’t want to have anything to do with the money.”

Kevin Fisher, 46, of Abbey Road, Fartown, Huddersfield, denies the murder and attempted robbery of Mr Sattar, 35, on September 7, 1998.

The jury has heard Lovell, 25, of Shirley Manor Gardens, Wyke, Bradford, has admitted burglary that night.

Mr Sattar died after he was shot once at close range in the back of the neck. The prosecution claim it was Kevin Fisher who fired the shot.

Jason Fisher initially said in evidence that he had only had general conversation with his uncle about the killing, which was the talk of the area.

Under questioning from David Hatton QC, prosecuting, he agreed he had made a statement in January last year in which he told police about the confession saying: “Kevin has confessed to me his part in the killing two or three times.”

He also agreed he told police his uncle had owned a 12-bore double-barrelled shotgun at a previous address and was very proud of the gun.

Sometime later he was shown the gun again and this time “it had a much shorter barrel. Kevin told me he had cut it down.”

Mr Hatton asked the witness if the details in the statement were “true and correct.”

“They are,” replied Jason Fisher.

Under cross-examination by Anesta Weekes QC, defending Kevin Fisher, Jason Fisher agreed he had previously told police that he knew nothing about the killing.

He said: “It wasn’t true, I lied, at the time I was trying to protect my uncle.”

The trial continues.