TODAY’S shooting of a uniformed woman officer as she attended a routine call to a disturbance in Leeds highlights the dangers faced by officers on a daily basis.
In the last three decades the following officers of West Yorkshire Police are listed by the Police Memorial Trust as having died during the course of their duties in attempting to prevent, stop or solve a criminal act...
• PC Conal Daood Hills, 2006 - killed when his vehicle crashed during a police pursuit
• PC Sharon Beshenivsky, 2005 - shot dead attending a robbery in Bradford
• PC Ian Broadhurst, 2003 - shot dead; colleague injured
• Sgt John Speed, 1984 - shot dead outside Leeds Parish Church
• Sgt Michael Hawcroft, 1981 - stabbed