Second floor flat fire in Malton

Yokersgate. Pic: Google.
Yokersgate. Pic: Google.

A flat fire broke out in Malton after candles set a sofa alight.

Three fire crews rushed to a second floor flat in Yorkersgate shortly after 6.40pm last night.

A North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: "The fire is believed to of started with a sofa catching fire from candles that were burning.

"Crews used two breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet and triple extension ladder."

The service has not said whether anybody was hurt.

Malton, Pickering and Huntington crews attended.