Mother-of-two Susan Ashworth, 47, was found dead in the kitchen of the fire–damaged house on Farfield Court, Garforth, on April 29 2014, Wakefield Coroner’s Court heard.
Her husband Martin Ashworth, 48, suffered severe burns in the blaze and was pronounced dead in hospital.
A post mortem revealed civil servant Mrs Ashworth had suffered three stab wounds to the right side of her chest.
Information technology worker Mr Ashworth, who was found in the garden of the property, was taken to LGI where he was pronounced dead.
The inquest into his death heard a post mortem revealed he died after suffering extensive burns to 80 per cent of his body.
His inquest was told staff at the Leeds Becklin Centre, a mental health service run by Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, had contacted his GP practice at Gibson Lane in Kippax on March 26 2014.
The inquest was told Mr Ashworth had been admitted to the Becklin Centre after he had attempted suicide. The court heard he was discharged with medication on April 16 and was considered at risk of suicide.
Dr Kirsten Hope, a consultant forensic pathologist, carried out the post mortem on Susan Ashworth. Dr Hope told the inquest that there was no evidence Mrs Ashworth had inhaled any fumes from the fire and said in her opinion the cause of death was multiple stab wounds. Dr Hope said: “I understand from the scene that some type of accelerant such as petrol was likely to have been used to start the fire.”
Police are not looking for anyone else in connection with the deaths. Both inquests were adjourned to a date yet to be fixed after the court was told a report into the incident by Safer Leeds has not yet been finalised.