'Lucky escape' for occupants of South Yorkshire home who returned home from pub in time to save house from light fitting blaze

The occupants of a South Yorkshire property have had a 'lucky escape' after returning home from the pub in time to call the fire service to put out a blaze believed to have been caused by a faulty light fitting.

The occupants of a South Yorkshire property have a 'lucky escape' after returning home from the pub in time to call the fire service to put out a blaze believed to have been caused by a faulty light fitting.

The blaze broke out at a property in Bellbank Way, Athersley, Barnsley at around 10.30pm last night.

A spokesman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said the occupants returned to their property, after being at the pub, to find their house engulfed in smoke.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

He said: "A light fitting had caught fire, and it filled the house with smoke.

"They had a very lucky escape."

Appliances from Cudworth station were sent to tackle the fire.

No-one is believed to have been injured.