Man suffers serious burns after explosion at Bridlington home

A man has suffered 'serious burns to his face and arms' after an explosion in Bridlington this morning.

Firefighters were called to a Bridlington home this morning after reports of an explosion.

Humberside Fire and Rescue were called after reports of the explosion at 8.17am this morning.

Fire crews were on scene at 8.21am and found the force of the blast had blow-out a bay window at the house.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A spokesman for Humberside Fire and Rescue said the explosion was caused by a portable camping stove that was placed on an electric hob.

The spokesman added: “The male occupier suffered serious burns to his face and arms.

“A gas engineer was already in attendance and the casualty was already in an ambulance.

“Gas was never on at this property.”

The engineer used a damp towel to extinguish the rest of the fire.

Humberside Police said the house had been boarded up to prevent access to the property.

The man was taken to Hull Royal Infirmary by ambulance where he is being treated for “serious burns to his face and arms”.