More uproar over shot teenager as state-imposed curfew defied

Have your say

The first night of a state-imposed curfew in Ferguson, Missouri, where a black teenager was shot by a white police officer while walking down the street, ended with police firing some canisters at the crowd and arresting protesters.

A team of officers from the Missouri State Highway Patrol, St Louis city and county police moved armoured vehicles down the street of the St Louis suburb just after the midnight curfew.

Patrol Captain Ron Johnson says police responded in force because some protesters positioned themselves on a restaurant roof and created a safety risk for approaching officers.

Hundreds of other protesters left peacefully before the midnight to 5 am deadline took effect.

But remaining protesters –chanting “No justice! No curfew!” – refused to leave the area. As five armoured tactical vehicles approached the crowd, officers spoke through a loudspeaker: “You are in violation of a state-imposed curfew. You must disperse immediately. Failure to comply may result in arrest.”

As officers put on gas masks, a chant from the distant crowd emerged: “We have the right to assemble peacefully.” A moment later, police began firing smoke into the crowd of protesters.

Missouri governor Jay Nixon said on Saturday that although many protesters were making themselves heard peacefully, the state would not allow looters to endanger the community of Ferguson, where 18-year-old Michael Brown was shot in a street.

“I am committed to making sure the forces of peace and justice prevail,” Mr Nixon said during a Press conference at a church that was interrupted repeatedly by people objecting to the curfew and demanding that the officer who shot Mr Brown be charged with murder.

“We must first have and maintain peace. This is a test. The eyes of the world are watching,” Mr Nixon, who also declared a state of emergency, said.

State statute gives the governor broad powers when he or she declares a state of emergency, but Mr Nixon has not indicated that he plans to do anything other than impose the curfew and empower the state highway patrol to enforce it.

Local police have identified the officer who shot Mr Brown as Darren Wilson and released documents and video footage claiming Mr Brown had robbed a convenience store just before he was shot.