Nail varnish remover sparks North Allerton house fire

A bottle of nail varnish remover caused a house fire last night on Valley Road, North Allerton. Fire crews were called to the scene shortly after 6.24pm.

A fire service spokesman said: “A lady had been lighting a fire in her living room and was using screwed up paper but did not realise there was a bottle of nail varnish remover inside one. She suffered minor burns as a result of the fire and there was some damage to the living room but the fire was out on arrival.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The lady was taken to hospital for treatment.