David Garside

Have your say

DAVID Garside, a former district judge in Yorkshire whose exemplary attendance record on the Bench earned praise from the Lord Chancellor, has died aged 83.

During his 28 years as a judge – first in Barnsley, Wakefield and Pontefract, then for most of those years in Bradford – he never took a day off except for planned holidays. When he retired 16 years ago, the then Lord Chancellor, Lord Irvine, commended him for such diligence.

David Malcolm Garside, who was known to everyone as Sandy, was brought up first in Leeds and then in Pudsey as his father, who was a bank clerk and later a manager with the Yorkshire Penny Bank, was moved to different branches.

He was the youngest of the three children of John and Elizabeth Garside, having an older sister and brother, both of whom predeceased him.

Judge Garside was educated at Bradford Grammar School and immediately on leaving did his two years National Service with the Army Intelligence Corps, serving for 18 months in Cyprus.

When that was completed he went to Leeds University to study for a law degree, and during that time joined the Territorial Army, serving with the Parachute Regiment at Thornbury Barracks in Pudsey.

After gaining his degree he worked for a number of solicitors’ firms in Bradford. At first he was articled to Thomas Last, before moving to Ernest Hind and Co and later becoming a partner in Whitaker and Wood. He then became a registrar and later a district judge.

Away from the Bench he was a Freemason with the Olicania Lodge, Ilkley, and a past Assistant Grand Registrar in the Grand Lodge.

He was also a keen follower of most sports, having played cricket at school and rugby while in the Army, but as a spectator supported his two local league cricket teams, Olicanians and Ilkley.

Judge Garside was married in 1960 to Jean Denise, who is always known as Denny, whom he met in 1958 in Scarborough when both their families were there for Christmas. He is survived by his wife, their two children Stephanie and Timothy, and four grandsons.

A funeral service will be held at Rawdon Parish Church, St Peter’s, next Thursday, February 5, at 12.45pm.