George Myerscough

Have your say

EVERYONE in the cricket world, and many others from all walks of life, will be saddened to hear of the passing of George Thompson Myerscough on Wednesday at his home in Heworth.

Born on November 11, 1931, at Welburn, North Yorkshire,he was the middle son of Harry and Alice Myerscough. In his younger days, George played football and cricket at Welburn, but his sporting days really began at Gleneagles Youth Club, where he met his first wife, Marion.

He played football, cricket and competed in athletics for Gleneagles. He was one of the fastest 100 and 220 yard runners in York and surrounding areas, winning many trophies. National Service came along and he was drafted into the Royal Air Force, completing his basic training at West Kirby on the Wirral. He was then posted to the south of England where he played football for Southern Command, this being cut short because of a broken wrist.

He was then posted “abroad” to RAF Driffield and then, yet another “abroad” posting to RAF Full Sutton. At this point he was able to ride home on an RAF bicycle!

George was a fine footballer and played for Old Malton St Mary’s; Gleneagles Youth Club; Cliftonville; York City Reserves; Scarborough and finally South Kirby Colliery. On the cricket front he started his career at Castle Howard before going on to play for Gleneagles Youth Club; York Ramblers and finally Dringhouses. He topped the Hunters York Senior League First Division batting averages in 1969 with an average of 50.71 and had a best score of 146 v Thirsk two years later. He was inducted into the League’s Hall of Fame in 2012.

He was league president for four years from 2007 to 2010 and it can safely be said that he was totally devoted to his duties. During his four years in office he visited virtually every ground in the wide geographical area not just once but on numerous occasions in each of the four years. In addition he was an ‘ever present’ at league functions and continued to strongly support the league in the following three years as ‘immediate past president’. He most generously donated an official ‘president’s chain of office’ to the league as a ‘thank you’ when his term ended.

Business wise, Mr Myerscough owned Robson & Coopers in Lendal, York, which, for many years, was very active in supplying equipment for cricket and other sports. In fact his firm have advertised in every York Senior League handbook since 1957 – an example of his avid support for all sport within the City and surrounding areas. Another aspect of his life was his involvement with the youth service and youth clubs in the city. Many old cricketers and former ‘youths’ used to regularly call into the Lendal shop to mull over old times with George whose sense of humour always acted as a fillip.

George Myerscough is survived by his wife Herle and his children Debbie, Joy, Neil and Christian who have all strongly supported him during his lengthy illness.