PC who sexually assaulted women on
duty jailed

Have your say

A FORMER police officer has been jailed for targeting vulnerable women and sexually assaulting them while on duty.

Lee Kershaw, 38, used his uniform and police car to abuse the trust of his four victims so he could attack them while serving as an officer with Humberside Police in 2008, a court heard.

Kershaw, from Cramlington, Northumberland, was locked up for three years at Sheffield Crown Court yesterday after previously pleading guilty to four offences of sexual assault and four of misconduct in public office.

The court heard Kershaw’s victims came forward after he was previously jailed in December 2009 for attempting to rape a woman in her own home.

Kershaw, who was on duty at the time, then changed his name from Lee Rackham following his five-year jail term.

But following his release in June 2012, Kershaw, who previously served in the Army, was questioned by police when four further allegations were made against him.

The court heard how all of his victims had been approached while Kershaw was in uniform.

David Bradshaw, prosecuting, said one woman was assaulted after Kershaw investigated a domestic incident in Hornsea. The second incident involved a woman who became involved in an argument which Kershaw attended. He later assaulted her.

The third victim was approached by Kershaw in December 2008 when she was staying with relatives in Hornsea. She came across an accident which blocked the road, so Kershaw asked her to help him manage the traffic. He later called at the home where she was staying and assaulted her.

Kershaw’s fourth victim was having problems with her daughter and husband when they met, the court heard. He later kissed the woman without warning.

The court heard that since being released from prison, Kershaw has set up a business as a joiner.

Caroline Goodwin, defending, said it had been difficult for him to move on because he has been held back by the further offences hanging over him.

Humberside Police Detective Superintendent Mathew Hutchinson said after the case: “Lee Kershaw abused the trust that was placed in him as a police officer.”