POLICE are warning people of fraudsters who conned two women - one aged 89 - this week out of £6,000.
Humberside Police said nine people were targeted this Wednesday and Thursday.
Most became suspicious and called police, but the two women, 89 and 67, fell for the scam, agreeing to transfer money into a bogus “safe” police account.
Last month a 41-year-old Beverley woman lost £2,700 after agreeing to transfer money, while another woman came close to parting with £36,000.
They are the latest victims of a national scam which has seen over 50 people targeted in the Humberside Police area in the past two months.
The victims were told their bank accounts had been compromised and told to contact their bank using a provided number. When they did they were asked for their card details. They then got another call from the bogus police officer suggesting they transfer money into the police account.
Marc Dias, Humberside Police Crime Reduction Officer said: “The police would never ask for a member of the public to transfer or hand over money as the victim of fraud.
“If people are called as part of this scam they should where possible make a note of key details of the call, including the number the bogus caller has rung from before calling Humberside Police on 101.
“I would also urge everyone to share details of this scam with family, friends and neighbours in order to ensure they don’t become the latest victims of this national scam.”