A newborn had a lucky escape when he stopped breathing for 15 minutes and his heart stopped beating - due to a cold.
Teddy Hemingway was sniffling during the school run with his brother and sister, but his mum Lauren, 27, didn't realise anything was seriously wrong until he spat out blood.
The cold had given Teddy a nosebleed, which made him choke, stop breathing, and then go into cardiac arrest, when he was just four weeks old, his mum said.
His skin turned grey and his lips went blue while he was in her arms, and she frantically ran into the school reception for help.
Quick-thinking staff snapped into action and along with paramedics performed CPR for 15 minutes before his throat was suctioned and his heart started again.
Parents Adam, 31, and Lauren, from Leeds, West Yorkshire, said doctors warned he might have suffered brain damage which won't become clear until years later.
But now nearly 10 months old, Teddy is "happy and thriving" and his mum is speaking out to urge others to learn basic life saving skills.
Stay-at-home mum Lauren said: "I remember them laying him forward and the blood just pouring from his mouth.
"I remember seeing his lips go blue and his face grey.
"I kept asking if he was breathing and no one was answering me.
"Then he was laid on the floor, and two of the staff were giving him CPR as he wasn’t breathing - and they couldn’t find a pulse.
"The ambulance crew turned up and suctioned the blood and mucus from his throat and he started to breathe again.
"I think a lot of parents don't realise what a simple cold can do to such young babies.
"I didn't know infant CPR, and if it hadn't been for the school staff, and their quick-thinking, we might not have had the outcome we do now."
His mum Lauren was dropping kids Ashton, 10, and Daisy, seven, at Norristhorpe Junior and Infant School on October 9, when disaster struck
Teddy, who was four weeks old to the day and had a cold, started to cry and was given his dummy, before Lauren noticed he was blowing lots of bubbles and gasping for air.
"I thought that was wind or mucus as he had quite a bad cold," she said.
"I got him out of the car seat and put him over my shoulder to wind him.
"As I pulled him back I noticed a streak of blood in his spit on his lips.
"Then he just started to spit out pure blood."
Lauren ran to the school office for help while turned grey with blue lips, suffered a respiratory arrest - stopped breathing - then cardiac arrest - his heart stopped.
"I ran to the school office and told them I didn’t know what was happening to him and couldn’t see if he'd cut his lip on my coat when I’d put him over my shoulder," she said.
The school called 999, an admin worker took the motionless tot from her arms and put him on the floor, as two staff performed rescue breaths and light chest compressions.
"The reception lady told me she was calling an ambulance regardless - though from then it’s all a bit of a blur to be honest," she said.
"We were blue lighted to the nearest children’s specialist hospital and had a team of doctors and specialists waiting for us when we got there.
"He was taken to resus and lots of tests were done and finally transferred to the paediatric intensive care unit.
"The conclusion was that the blood had come from his nose triggered by the cold and hard mucus he had up there - and as he was so small he couldn’t handle it.
"Obviously we were relieved to know that it wasn’t a serious medical condition, but also very unnerved that it was something so minor that very nearly cost him his life."
Doctors at Leeds Children's Hospital told Lauren that Teddy had inflamed nasal passages due to his cold.
Dried mucus gave him a nose bleed, which caused him to choke, go into respiratory arrest, then cardiac arrest, his mum said.
A CT scan taken on the day of the "freak accident" showed a little shadowing on Teddy's brain - but an MRI four days later was inconclusive.
Teddy continues to receive treatment at Leeds General Infirmary, including CT and MRI scans, lumbar punctures, blood counts, and ENT investigations.
His parents said he has been poorly a lot since the horrifying incident, with sore throats and bad colds - as well as coughing up a little blood on one occasion.
Lauren and Adam, a plasterer, continue to keep an eye on him for any rapid deterioration consistent with hypoxia, a lack of oxygen to the brain.
But they are over the moon that he's "in good spirits, laughing, and bubbly".
The proud parents are also humbled by the school and hospital staff "for the level of care they gave us that day and still now".
Lauren said: "We've had the massively anxious wait to see if Teddy's brain was damaged at all during the time he was lacking oxygen.
"The CT scan showed initial shadowing, which was frightening.
"But thankfully, the MRI didn't show anything significant - though it's a waiting game now as potentially major signs of hypoxic brain injury might not be present yet.
"We don't know if he will speak or anything yet, and it will be so difficult to tell if that is because of the accident, or if he was going to be like that anyway."