MP's anger after P&O Ferries finally confirms scrapping of Hull to Zeebrugge route on Twitter

AN MP has condemned ferry operator P&O Ferries for taking to Twitter to finally confirm that a key route from Hull to the Continent will be axed on January 1.

Hull East MP Karl Turner Picture: Danny Lawson/PA Wire

Hull East MP Karl Turner said scrapping the Hull to Zeebrugge route was “terrible news for jobs and trade” and making the official announcement on social media “only speaks for the contempt they have for this area.”

Pride of York sailed for the last time from Hull on December 9, but the ferry operator offered no comment at the time.

However on Tuesday in a brief statement on Twitter P&O Ferries said they had made the "difficult decision to discontinue our Hull-Zeebrugge service from 1 Jan 2021", adding: "We hope to welcome you on board our Hull-Rotterdam or Dover-Calais ships in future so you can continue to enjoy safe, relaxing ferry trips to mainland Europe."

The Hull to Zeebrugge route ends on January 1

The statement drew responses from customers expressing regret at the loss of the “perfect gateway to Europe”, and concern for those losing their jobs.

One said there had been lack of thought for Disneyland Paris and Bruges travellers, while another said it was “favouring the south yet again”.

Another said: "Why would we drive from the North to the South to go Dover to Calais?

"Zeebrugge was a good option to France and Rotterdam isn’t! Shameful when you have taken government funds."

Mr Turner said: "P&O's decision to proceed without informing local leaders is completely lacking in class and is another blow to British seafarer jobs which are already in dramatic decline.

"We're extremely proud of our maritime industries in Hull, however the lack of support from this government had been shameful, awarding P&O lucrative freight deals worth up to £1m a month in taxpayer money yet failing to defend British seafarer jobs."