Rechargeable battery ‘explodes’ in living room

A man’s living room was severely damaged after a rechargeable golf cart battery exploded.

Derbyshire fire service.

Fire crews were called to the flat on Sun Lane, Wakefield at 2.42am today. On arrival at the property on Sun Lane, Wakefield, they found the living room on fire and a man was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A spokesman said the battery, a little smaller than a car battery but made up of individual sets of batteries, had been left on charge and had overheated, eventually exploding, leading to a fire in the living room.

Crews extinguished the fire. A spokesman warned: “We would urge people not to leave these sorts of batteries on charge overnight or for long periods.”