While a police investigation into a fatal New Year’s Day car crash in Sheffield continues this afternoon, here is what is known so far:
- Emergency services were alerted to the collision on Southey Green Road, Southey Green, at around 4am.
POLICE: Young man killed in New Year’s Day collision on Sheffield estate
- The collision occurred close to The Church on The Corner, near the junctions with Crowder Road and Lindsay Avenue.
CRIME: Witnesses to New Year’s Eve assault in Sheffield wanted by police
- A silver Saab 95 was found to have ploughed into metal railings running alongside the road.
- The front of the car was found to be severely damaged.
- The driver was a 21-year-old man, who has not yet been named.
- He suffered severe head injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene.
- A passenger in the car escaped unharmed.
- The car had been travelling along Southey Green Road, in the direction of Elm Lane, when it left the road.
- The crash scene was cordoned off this morning and inside the taped off area a green quad bike could be seen.
- It s not yet known whether the quad played any part in the crash as it has not yet been referred to by South Yorkshire Police.
- Collision investigators worked through the night and all morning carrying out enquiries at the scene.
- Witnesses to the collision have been urged to come forward.
- Anyone with information should call South Yorkshire Police on 101 and quote incident number 410 of January 1, 2019.