Spark blamed for blaze at former turkey factory

A SPARK from a grinder is thought to have caused a fire that severely damaged a former turkey factory in North Yorkshire.

Fire crews yesterday left the scene on the Dalton Industrial Estate, near Thirsk, once they were confident that the flames would not flare up again.

Initial investigations revealed that contractors working on site are thought to have accidentally started the blaze.

The disused factory is due to be demolished next week to make way for a housing development being overseen by York-based Shepherd Homes.

Householders were told to keep windows and doors shut after more than 30 firefighters tackled the blaze from 2.30pm on Wednesday.

Fire chiefs yesterday reassured residents that the risk of asbestos contamination was "absolutely minimal".