Student dies after drugs milkshake

0
Have your say

A STUDENT who mixed a milkshake with a Class A drug died hours later after ingesting the deadly cocktail at a party, an inquest heard yesterday.

Oliver Walton, 19, and three other residents of a house in Shaw Lane, Headingley, Leeds, hosted the party on Friday evening with more than 20 friends invited.

Coroners officer Daniel Stoker told Leeds Coroners Court the majority of the partygoers were drinking alcohol.

He said it had been established that Oliver, a student at Leeds College of Music, had mixed MDMA (better knows as ecstasy) in powder form with a milkshake and drunk it at 11.30pm.

Within hours he was seriously ill and collapsed at 2.20am.

Paramedics arrived and he was taken to Leeds General Infirmary where despite the best efforts of doctors death was confirmed at 3.45am. His death is not being treated as suspicious.

Users of MDMA find it produces a range of feelings including increased energy and euphoria. But it can also produce confusion, depression, sleep problems and severe anxiety. Only rarely is it lethal. MDMA can have many of the same physical effects as other stimulants, such as cocaine and amphetamines.

Oliver’s death is not the first tragedy to hit the Leeds student community this month.

A University of Leeds student Jagdip Randhawa, 19, of Hounslow, London, died in hospital on October 17 after an alleged assault outside the Millets store in Albion Street five days earlier. Clifton Mitchell, 21, from Broadway, Derby, has been charged and remanded in custody.

The inquest into Oliver’s death was adjourned until a date to be fixed.