Toddler makes life-saving 999 call for mother

Toddler Taha Mete has been hailed a hero by his nursery schoolfriends after springing into life-saving action when his mother collapsed and fell downstairs.

Taha, who is aged just three, ran to the aid of his mother Amy Mete as she lay unconscious in the hallway of the family home following the terrifying tumble last week.

When he could not rouse her Taha grabbed the telephone, pressed the emergency button and calmly told the 999 operator what had happened and how his mother was reacting.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

He also kept the ambulance service worker updated as well as checking Mrs Mete’s condition. Meanwhile, an ambulance was sent to the family home in Rawmarsh, Rotherham.

Mrs Mete, who has suffered from stroke-like episodes for the last 12 months, was taken to Rotherham District General Hospital for a check-up and kept in overnight for observation before being allowed home.

But the following day Taha thought he was in serious trouble when he attended Ashwood Nursery School in Rotherham and was told by staff to go into the school hall.

Youngsters from the neighbouring primary school as well as Taha’s pals from the nursery were told how Taha’s quick and cool action had saved his mother.

Proud Mrs Mete, 28, speaking at the family home in Murray Road, Rawmarsh yesterday said: “Taha is my hero.

“He used the speed dial call system we have in place and pressed the emergency button to call an ambulance.

“He is only three but I’m told he was very cool and calm when he was asked questions by the operator about my condition.

“He told them ‘mum’s being sick’ or ‘she’s awake’ and he just kept talking until the ambulance arrived.

“Taha came over to check on me and when I came round he kept asking how I was.

“He was still talking to the operator when the ambulance arrived.

“When he was went to nursery he thought he was in big trouble but he didn’t know what for.

“The pupils were told what he did to help me and he was given a special sticker.

“He was really proud and so he should be because I think what he did was amazing for a little boy aged three.”

Amy’s Turkish-born husband Ozgur, aged 30, who is a waiter and her other son, five-year-old Alaz, were not at home when she collapsed.

She is still undergoing tests to discover what is causing the blackouts.

Mrs Mete added: “Because of the blackouts I can’t go outside the house on my own and my husband and mum say that every time the phone rings they wonder what has happened.

“I have had to give up work and it’s worrying because there is no family history of any similar conditions and the doctors just don’t seem to be able to tell me what could be causing it.

“When it has happened before I’ve been able to sit down but this time the blackout came on when I was just at the top of the stairs.

“It was really scary for me and I dread to think what might have happened if Taha hadn’t known what to do to call for help.

“It is so surprising that he knew what to do, because I have never sat him down and told him that when something happens he should press the button on the phone.

“I have told my older son so he must have just taken it in, and I am thankful that he did.”