Two houses in Thirsk damaged in fire caused by dropped cigarette

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service attended a fire on Thursday March 14 at a property in Norby, Thirsk.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service attended a fire on Thursday March 14 at a property in Norby, Thirsk caused by a dropped cigarette. (File photo.)
North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service attended a fire on Thursday March 14 at a property in Norby, Thirsk caused by a dropped cigarette. (File photo.)

The fire had started in a garden caused by a dropped cigarette.

- > Woman who faked cancer to claim sick pay from Harrogate cancer charity jailed for £87,000 fraudThe fire then spread to a garden fence and a BBQ butane cylinder causing damage to approximately 2m of fencing.

The exteriors of two houses were also damaged including soffits, downpipes, windows and extractor fan vents.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service attended a fire on Thursday March 14 at a property in Norby, Thirsk caused by a dropped cigarette. (File photo.)

A spokeswoman for the force said: "Crews led two residents to safety from the house, and a 57 year old female was treated on scene by paramedics for smoke inhalation."

The fire crew from Thirsk and Northallerton used two hose reel jets and a thermal imaging camera to extinguish the flames.