Trio jailed for life for murder of man in Hull street

Steven Herbert
Steven Herbert
Have your say

LIFE sentences given to three attackers who murdered a man when he tried to calm down an altercation in a Hull street, send a clear message to violent criminals, the lead detective in the case said.

Samuel Jordan, Soul Humphries and Tiffany Clark, were all sentenced to life in prison by judge Michael Mettyear at Hull Crown Court, having been found guilty of the murder of 34-year-old Steven Herbert at the end of a trial last month.

After yesterday’s sentencing, the senior investigating officer in the case Detective Chief Inspector Matthew Baldwin said Mr Herbert’s death on New Year’s Day this year was “needless” and “tragic” and vowed that the force was committed to pursuing the perpetrators of violent crimes.

Jordan, 23, of Yarmouth Avenue, will serve a minimum of 15 years in prison before he is considered for parole. Humphries, 22, of Rawcliffe Grove, has been jailed for a minimum of 13-and-a-half years and Clark, 24, of Victor Street, will spend at least 14 years behind bars.

Det Chief Insp Baldwin, of Humberside Police, said: “The sentences received by these three young people should send a clear message to those who engage in violent crime. Of course, no sentence will ever bring Steven back and our thoughts are with his family.

“This was a needless, tragic death and the people who visit, live and work within the Humberside Police area can be assured that both the Police and the Crown Prosecution Service will continue to pursue and prosecute those who commit acts of violence.”

During the trial, the court heard how Mr Herbert, who was described as a “loving family man”, was battered to death during a sustained attack in the early hours of New Year’s Day on Trafalgar Street, Hull when he tried to calm down an altercation.

But he was left “helpless and prone” after being knocked out by one of two male attackers before Clark was seen to straddle and “gratuitously” punch him and kick him in the head.

Mr Herbert was unconscious when the trio fled the scene. Members of the public attempted first aid to try and save his life.