Twin baby ‘died from acute and rare complication’

Have your say

A TWIN baby boy died from an “acute and rare” complication following his mother’s assisted birth, an inquest has been told.

Doctors used metal suction cups to try to deliver Daniel Richardson and, when that failed, resorted to forceps.

However, the infant died just two days later from multi-organ failure because of shock and massive bleeding.

The Rotherham hearing was told that research showed a link between such haemorrhages and instrumental-assisted deliveries, but it could also occur spontaneously.

Gynaecological consultant Radwan Faraj said it was the first time in 18 years that he had seen such complications lead to death.

Mother Faith Richardson, 30, a care home manager, gave birth to Daniel on January 14 this year at Rotherham Hospital.

Obstetrics registrar Dr Santtini Sasitharan said he found Daniel was positioned “back to back” in the womb and it was decided that the delivery would be instrument-assisted.

He used a ventouse suction cup to pull the baby out, but it fell off. Eventually Daniel was delivered by forceps and Caleb by caesarean section 30 minutes later.

Mr Faraj said: “I have done these deliveries thousands of times, to me it was straightforward.”

Asked by coroner Nicola Mundy if using the metal cups may have played a part in Daniel’s death he said: “To me instrument delivery was the right decision. It could be a factor in the development of the haemorrhage but I cannot say it was the direct cause.”

He said the amount of blood which collected in Daniel’s head was “disproportionate” to the delivery process and said: “The delivery was conducted in the best interests of baby Daniel and baby Caleb.”

Consultant paediatrician Dr Peter MacFarlane found Daniel was suffering from an extreme blood loss and was immediately given a blood transfusion.

He found continuous bleeding between the baby’s skull and scalp which he believed was caused by a blood-clotting defect.

Pathologist Dr Mudher Al-Adnani gave the cause of death as multi-organ failure due to a massive haemorrhage.

Ms Mundy said she did not find a link between the instrumental delivery and the bleeding, and gave a verdict of natural causes.

She said: “Either this was spontaneous or it was possibly linked to a coagulation defect present at birth.”

After the hearing Daniel’s father Jonathan Richardson, 30, said: “The care we had in the hospital has been fantastic, from every member of staff, throughout the events. What caused the bleeding nobody can really say.”