INVESTIGATIONS were last night continuing into the deaths of two people whose bodies were found on a boat moored in a Yorkshire harbour.
The grim discovery was made in Whitby harbour shortly before 10am yesterday.
It is thought the victims – reported to be fishermen – may have died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning.
A spokesman for North Yorkshire Police said: “Although the deaths are currently unexplained, there are not believed to be any suspicious circumstances and no-one else is being sought in connection with the incident.”
They were found in their beds on the boat, which is one of a number of vessels visiting Whitby from Milford Haven in South Wales. It is believed that an oven ring may have been left burning throughout the night to provide extra heat.
Whitby Fish Market’s Darren Butcher said: “At about 9.45am when the other crew were here, they must have thought ‘hey up, where’s these two lads?’ They’ve gone aboard, kicked the door in and obviously found them there.”
The Health and Safety Executive and the Marine Accident Investigation Branch have been notified of the deaths.