Untrained tattooist used dirty equipment

0
Have your say

A TATTOOIST who was caught running a business from his dirty and unhygenic bedroom has been ordered to pay £1000.

Environmental health officers who inspected Stuart Webb’s home in Hull found a dog in his bedroom where he saw clients and dirty washing and mouldy tiles in the bathroom where he cleaned equipment.

To sterilise equipment Webb, who was was self-taught, first practising on pigskin, then friends and family, used a baby bottle steriliser.

Officials became involved after a member of the public read a Facebook exchange between Mr Webb and a potential client.

Webb had pages on the social networking site where people could make inquiries and discuss prices. On it he discouraged people from going to registered tattooists.

Officers excecuted a warrant on his home and seized five large bags of tattooing equipment, which had been acquired from on-line sites.

The council said when questioned Webb appeared to have no knowledge of any of the health risks associated with tattooing, including blood-borne diseases like hepatitis B and C.

He pleaded guilty at Hull Magistrates to breaches of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and the Local Government Act (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 and was fined £500, ordered to pay costs of £500 and a £15 victim surcharge.

Coun John Hewitt, portfolio holder for neighbourhoods and families, said Webb put young people and those on low incomes at risk by undercutting registered tattooists. He said: “Anybody operating a tattoo business must be registered with the council, have the requisite training and abide by regulations relating to age and hygiene.

“Mr Webb was not only breaking the law but putting people’s health at risk from serious infection, including the transfer of viruses that can be life limiting.”