It definitely wasn’t part of the show, TV star Jack Whitehall insisted after taking a fire extinguisher to the flames at the First Direct Arena in Leeds.
Whitehall, whose At Large tour is his first in two years, had to be helped by a member of the stage crew to pull the release pin from the extinguisher.
After the show, he tweeted: “Wow, crazy show in Leeds! My set caught fire. Actual fire. Turns out in an emergency situation I’m about as much use as a chocolate teapot.”
The incident was filmed by @annam4rtin, who posted the footage on Twitter.
Whitehall is best known for the TV shows Bad Education and Fresh Meat, and has a big following in the US, where he has performed on NBC’s tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon.