Woman hurt tackling fire on hob

A WOMAN was taken to hospital after attempting to put out a cooking fire in her kitchen.

The woman suffered burns and smoke inhalation after the fire at her home in Lakeen Road, Intake, Doncaster, at 11.30am on Tuesday, March 26.

Firefighters put out the fire before ventilating the property.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Watch manager Andy Eaton said: “We believe this lady had put some oil in a pan on the hob and then left the room. When she returned, the pan was on fire.

“In her attempts to put the fire out, she sustained some serious burns to her arm.”

He added: “We would advise people never to leave cooking unattended and, if encountering a fire of any sort in their home not to try to deal with it themselves.

“The best course of action is to dial 999 and ask for the fire service.”

In a separate incident fire crews were called to a house fire on Selbourne Street in the St Anns area of Rotherham at 7.50am on Wednesday morning.

Five engines attended the terrace property and found the ground floor “well alight”.

Nobody was in the house at the time and neighbouring properties were evacuated as a precaution.