Yorkshire golf pro Andrew Jackson ‘murdered by wife’s toy-boy lover’

Richmond's Cavern Bar, scene of the attack. Picture: Google Maps
Richmond's Cavern Bar, scene of the attack. Picture: Google Maps
Have your say

A FORMER golf pro who was killed by his wife’s toy-boy died after receiving at least three forceful blows to the head in a North Yorkshire market town, a court has heard.

Cohnor Coleman, 24, launched an attack on Andrew Jackson, 43, during an evening when his wife Sarah was also out in Richmond.

Coleman, the son of one of her best friends, denies murder but has admitted manslaughter, the jury at Teesside Crown Court has been told.

Pathologist Dr Jennifer Bolton outlined the head injuries suffered by Mr Jackson, the former professional at Richmond Golf Club.

She said: “The blows have been delivered with a degree of force. These are not trivial blows, these are at least a moderate degree of force, perhaps even a severe degree of force.”

She said there were a minimum of three head blows landed in the attack, which happened outside the Cavern bar on April 25.

Witnesses described seeing four or five forceful blows, or possibly more, to the right side of Mr Jackson’s head while he was lying on the left side, on the ground.

Dr Bolton said the cause of death was a basal subarachnoid haemorrhage. She explained that was bleeding on the base of the brain caused by a tear in an artery from the neck.

The tear was caused by rapid twisting and tilting of the head, she explained.

Coleman, of Cookson Way, Brough with St Giles, near Catterick, had been in a secret relationship with Mr Jackson’s 38-year-old wife.

The court has heard he shouted “you’re not such a big man now” after the unprovoked attack.

Cavern owner Mark O’Grady explained how he had thrown out Coleman and Mrs Jackson before the fatal attack.

He saw Coleman “having a confrontation” with another customer, so asked him to leave.

Mr O’Grady also threw out Mrs Jackson, explaining she had warned him earlier there might be trouble and he had already told her to leave then.

Lisa Johnson, who was on a night out with Mrs Jackson, said her friend was “very drunk”.

She told the court: “She was falling over, she kept taking her shoes off. I kept trying to get her to put them back on.”

The friend thought they were going on a girls’ night out and said it was a “surprise” that Coleman had joined them.

The court also heard from the dead man’s friend Ashley Green, who explained they were out together, separate from Mr Jackson’s wife, before ending up in the Cavern.

Mr Green said his friend “just strolled out” after his wife when she left the bar and appeared his normal self.

The trial continues.