Youth working on cherry picker ‘electrocuted’

Have your say

A 17-YEAR-OLD youth has died after the cherry picker he was working in was apparently in contact with overhead power cables, an ambulance service said yesterday.

Ambulance crews were scrambled to a disused quarry in Shilton Lane, Brize Norton, Oxfordshire, after receiving a report that the teenager had received an electric shock.

A spokesman for the South Central Ambulance Service said it was understood the boy had been working on a cherry picker which had come into contact with the power cables.

He added: “The casualty suffered a cardiac arrest at the scene and was conveyed by air ambulance to the JR2 Hospital in Oxford.”

A Thames Valley Police spokeswoman said: “Officers were called to a property in Shilton Lane at 3.50pm following reports that a 17-year-old boy suffered serious injuries after suffering a suspected electric shock.

“He was conveyed to the JR2 Hospital but was pronounced dead.

“The matter has been passed to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) who will be investigating.”

An HSE spokesman said: “The HSE is aware and is investigating with the police.”