Man in Bridlington treated for burns after vaping machine battery reacted with metal chain in trouser pocket

A spare battery for a vaping machine and a metal chain reacted in the man's pocket.
A spare battery for a vaping machine and a metal chain reacted in the man's pocket.

A man in Bridlington needed treatment for burns to his leg after a vaping machine battery reacted with a metal chain in his trouser pocket.

Humberside Fire and Rescue Service said firefighters and paramedics had been called to an address in Hilderthorpe Road shortly before 7.50am this morning.

Also in news: Roast dinner at this Yorkshire pub named as one of the world's best dining experiences by Lonely Planet

They said the man had suffered burns due to a reaction between the spare battery for a vaping machine and a metal chain in his trouser pocket.

Firefighters made a safety inspection before leaving the man in the care of paramedics.

It prompted the service to later issue a safety warning to members of the public.

Also in news:Yorkshire Ancient Egypt expert unwraps 6,000 year old mummy secret

A spokesman said: "Please only use the charger sold with your vaping device, otherwise lithium ion batteries can overheat and cause a fire.

"Even once charged, other metal objects in your pocket such as coins or keys can short circuit the battery causing a localised explosion."