Pace proves an asset as Palladino delivers for Derbyshire

A five-wicket haul from Derbyshire pace bowler Tony Palladino put the hosts in total control on a a rain-interrupted second day against Gloucestershire.

The 28-year-old took 5-47 in 18 overs as the visitors collapsed to 172-9, 216 runs behind, before rain brought an early end to play.

The second day of Northamptonshire’s match with Hampshire was washed out without a ball being bowled. Hampshire are on 42-3, 176 adrift of their opponents.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

No play was possible either between Glamorgan and Essex at Cardiff because of rain and bad light. Glamorgan are on one for nought in reply to Essex’s 259-9 declared.

England batsman Ian Bell brought an end to his near nine-month wait for a century as he closed a rain-shortened second day of Warwickshire’s Division One match against Durham at Edgbaston unbeaten on 106.

Bell moved from his overnight 59 into three figures in the 22 overs possible between a delayed start and early finish to help the hosts into a 32-run lead on 195-7.

It was the 39th first-class century of Bell’s career and his 19th for Warwickshire, but his first in 20 innings since he made his Test-best 235 against India at The Oval last August.

After struggling against spin in the Tests against Pakistan and Sri Lanka, Bell’s first three innings for his county this season produced only 34 runs, but he returned to form in time for the start of the series against West Indies.

But at Old Trafford England’s Test contingent were outshone by veteran New Zealander Andre Adams on day two of Nottinghamshire’s match against reigning champions Lancashire, with James Anderson’s participation again interrupted.

The visitors finished 145 ahead on 122-2, but only after Adams ripped through Lancashire, taking 7-32 to reduce them to 146 all out.

Stuart Broad, looking to find form and fitness before the West Indies series, looked an entirely tamer prospect, bowling 14 wicketless overs for 60.

Anderson, who suffered bruising to his thumb yesterday but was cleared of any break after a trip to hospital, managed just one over in Nottinghamshire’s second innings before leaving the field with illness.