Draw and victory in the same match

Yorkshire One: After their scare by Selby a week earlier, leaders Malton and Norton enjoyed a seven-try performance against Knottingley, running out 51-24 winners at the Gannock to maintain their unbeaten record.

Malton opened a 32-3 half-time lead and despite being slightly depleted in the threequarters and letting the visitors in for three second-half tries, the leaders never looked in danger.

Full-back Josh Saunders and 17-year-old winger Ali Heard each scored two tries for Malton, with flanker George Harrison, No 8 Mark Bradshaw and prop Adam Turnbull getting the other touchdowns. Teei Piawi converted five and added two penalties.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Steve Rockett, Knottingley’s full-back, kicked a first-half penalty for the visitors and converted all three tries by himself, his brother Paul Rockett on the wing and Carl Clayton at flanker.

Second-placed Sheffield were held to a 25-25 home draw by Dinnington, despite then going on to win 53-25 during 30 minutes of extra time in their Yorkshire Shield clash, which was included in this double-header.

Stand-off Donal Collins kicked four penalties, two drop goals and a conversion for Sheffield in their league match, and then added four more conversions in the Yorkshire Shield extra-time period.

Selby, after going within an ace of beating Malton, collapsed 33-12 in their home match against Heath, who have moved up to third place ahead of Keighley, edged out 23-20 at North Ribblesdale.

Winger Simon Brown and No 8 Ian Spence each ran in two tries for Heath, with a fifth coming from prop Chris Moore. Matthew Hallett converted four out of the five.

Selby pulled back a try by winger Ollie Saunders late in the first half, and the visitors went 33-5 up before Selby scored their last-minute consolation try by centre Matthew O’Connor, converted by Jordan Barton.

Keighley were beaten 23-20 at North Ribblesdale despite scoring three tries to two.