Action Replay - 30 years ago today: Success thin on the ground for Yorkshire clubs

Howard Wilkinson.
Howard Wilkinson.
Have your say

THIRTY years ago this weekend, there was not too much hospitality on the ground for Yorkshire’s footballing contingent.

The 1985-86 season was a time when just one team, Sheffield Wednesday, resided in the top-flight and the final footballing weekend of November 1985 saw Howard Wilkinson’s side relinquish an impressive 10-match unbeaten sequence in a 2-1 loss against lowly Ipswich Town at Portman Road.

Feargal Sharkey - was No 1 with 'A Good Heart' this time 30 years ago - but Sheffield wednesday still lost at Ipswich Town.

Feargal Sharkey - was No 1 with 'A Good Heart' this time 30 years ago - but Sheffield wednesday still lost at Ipswich Town.

South Africa-born striker Mich D’Avray scored twice for Bobby Ferguson’s outfit - Frank Yallop putting through his own net at the other end.

The date was November 30, 1985 - a time when former The Undertones frontman Feargal Sharkey was at No 1 with “A Good Heart” - shortly to be replaced by Wham’s ‘I’m Your Man.’

Events in the news included the Anglo-Irish Agreement being signed at Hillsborough Castle and Labour suspending the Liverpool and District Labour Party, while the Prince and Princess of Wales jetted over to America to visit US president Ronald Reagan.

The last footballing Saturday of November saw only Barnsley, Middlesbrough and York City triumph and it wasn’t a great picture elsewhere.

Barnsley beat Millwall 3-1 in front of 4,340 at Oakwell to continue their strong home form, but it was an inauspicious afternoon for 15th-placed Leeds United, with 11,480 witnessing a 2-0 Elland Road defeat to Norwich City, who ended the season being promoted to the top-flight as champions.

Another side who sampled promotion highs at the end of 1985-86 were Wimbledon, although they had to settle for a point in a 2-2 draw with Huddersfield at Plough Lane on November 30, 1985.

Doncaster-born David Cork and current Leeds United assistant Paul Raynor netted for 18th-placed Town, with the reverse fixture at Leeds Road in May 1986 providing fateful for the Wombles - they won 1-0 to reach Division One for the first time.

That May day saw Middlesbrough relegated amid a riot in the away end at Gay Meadow, but at the end of November 1985, there were left to reflect on a 3-1 win at Ayresome Park over their Shropshire rivals in a key survival battle - thanks to goals from Gary Rowell, Pat Heard and Tony McAndrew in front of just 4,061 fans.

Sheffield United played out a 0-0 draw with Crystal Palace at Bramall Lane, while Hull City lost 3-1 at Brighton.

In Division Three, York City, in seventh, beat Brentford 1-0 at Bootham Crescent, while Doncaster Rovers were hammered 4-0 at Gillingham.

In the top-flight on November 30, 1985 - key late goals were the order of the day.

Future Owls striker Colin West netted a shock 89th-minute leveller for Watford in a 1-1 draw with leaders Manchester United at Old Trafford, with Pat Nevin performing the same feat for Chelsea against second-placed Liverpool in a 1-1 draw at Anfield.