Barnsley 1 Ipswich Town 1: Dawson’s strike secures Reds point

Barnsley's Scott Golbourne and co host Ipswich.
Barnsley's Scott Golbourne and co host Ipswich.
Have your say

STEPHEN Dawson grabbed a deserved equaliser as Barnsley were held at home by struggling Ipswich Town.

Keith Hill named the same starting XI which won so convincingly 5-0 last time out at Birmingham City.

That meant in-form striker Craig Davies led the Red attack after his incredible four-goal performance at St Andrews a week ago.

But the Reds were brought down to earth almost immediately with a goal conceded in the opening minutes.

A well-worked free kick created space for Aaron Cresswell and his low drive seemed to deceive Barnsley goalkeeper Ben Alnwick as it found its way through to the net.

‘Dodgy keeper’ chanted the small band of travelling fans, rattling around in the vast open spaces of the stand behind Alnwick’s goal.

It took a while for the Reds to get back in the game, Chris Dagnall firing straight at visiting goalkeeper Scott Loach with their best chance.

But the first-half talking point came five minutes before the break when Craig Davies had a goal ruled out by referee Trevor Kettle.

Davies’s effort looked to be looping under the crossbar, but Stephen Foster was penalised for his challenge on Loach to the anger of the Oakwell crowd.

Barnsley dominated the second half as they searched for an equaliser. Town’s Guirane N’Daw, who had been the enforcer to quieten Reds danger man Jacob Mellis, departed soon after picking up a booking as Paul Jewell made a substitution.

But the Reds just could not find a way through to goal.

Davis found himself tantalisingly close to a chipped cross from the excellent Scott Golbourne, and then the striker hammered over a free-kick after Mellis was chopped down by Luke Chambers as he looked to pull the trigger from 22 yards.

Barnsley should have scored when Golbourne again provided the thrust down the left flank, Chris Dagnell picked out ghosting into the box but his low shot hit the inside of the post and rebounded to


Mellis then offered a chance to substitute Danny Rose, but he failed to take it, then Davies had claims for a penalty and handball when his fierce shot was charged down.

Finally, the Reds’ persistance paid off as Stephen Dawson grabbed a deserved equaliser with 20 minutes remaining.

Davies stung the palms of Loach with a thunderous drive as Barnsley drove forward in search of a late winner. The Town goalkeeper was also on hand to tip over a 20-yard effort from Dawson in a frantic finale, while Tomasz Cywka headed over from eight yards deep into stoppage time.

Barnsley: Alnwick, Kennedy (Stones 56), Foster, Wiseman, Golbourne, Dawson, Crainie, Cywka, Mellis, Davies, Dagnall (Rose 67). Subs not used: Steele, Done, Perkins, Harewood, Etuhu.

Ipswich: Loach, Edwards, Chambers, Higginbotham, Cresswell, N’Daw (Ainsley 53), Hyam (Luongo 46), Drury, Martin, Murphy, Scotland (Ellington 63). Subs not used: Lee-Barrett, Smith, Emmanuel-Thomas, Murray.

Referee: T Kettle (Berks).

Attendance: 8,571.