FT: Barnsley 1-1 Chesterfield - Johnson still clinging to ‘5 per cent’ chance

Lee Johnson
Lee Johnson
Have your say

Barnsley’s play-off hopes hang by a thread after they were unable to defeat local rivals Chesterfield and eat into their deficit on League One’s top six.

The shared spoils means the status quo remains, Barnsley trailing the sixth-placed Spireites by seven points with just four games left to play.

It could have been season over for the Reds, who trailed at half-time to Jay O’Shea’s 25th minute goal.

After Conor Hourihane slipped inside his own half, the swarming blue shirts - buoyed by a four-match winning run that had taken them into the play-offs - pounced quickly.

Midfielder Jimmy Ryan surged forward and played the ball into the path of O’Shea who calmly slotted it across Adam Davies and inside the far post.

Martin Cranie hit the cross bar with a stooping header as Barnsley threatened mainly from set-pieces in a first half in which they were largely overrun in midfield.

Sam Clucas should have given the visitors the lead in the second minute but he shot straight at Davies.

Josh Scowen had a strong shot beaten out by Chesterfield goalkeeper Tommy Lee before Sam Winnall levelled on the hour.

From a half-cleared corner, Peter Ramage scuffed a cross-shot into the box which evaded the outstretched leg of Spireites defender Sam Hird and there was Winnall, sliding in at the back post to give Barnsley hope.

Winnall had a chance to win it when presented with a chance from 15 yards, but his shot was smartly saved by Lee.

At the other end, Ryan similarly had time to pick his spot but shot wide, but it is Chesterfield who will be happier with the point.

Banrsley boss Lee Johnson said: “We had to change the way we played today. You can’t always win by playing nicely, you’ve got to playing winning football, and that’s what we tried to do today.

“I said before hand we had a five per cent chance of making the play-offs and that’s the case still after today’s result.”