Bradford City 1 Plymouth Argyle 1: Hanson earns point against 10-man Argyle

Bradford City manager Phil Parkinson.
Bradford City manager Phil Parkinson.
Have your say

Bradford City were held to a draw by 10-man Plymouth at Valley Parade in League Two, writes Robert Gledhill.

City manager Phil Parkinson rang the changes from the side which lost in the JP Trophy at Oldham for this League Two basement battle.

Michael Flynn returned from suspension and took his place in central midfield alongside Ricky Ravenhill, who was ineligible at Boundary Park.

James Hanson and Ross Hannah were paired up front, supported by Craig Fagan and Kyel Reid while Simon Ramsden returned at full-back.

Bottom club Plymouth arrived buoyed by a 4-1 victory against Northampton, which had ended a seven-game winless run, and were unchanged.

Bradford, however, suffered a setback before kick-off when Hannah was injured in the warm-up and had to be replaced by Jack Compton with Richie Jones stepping up onto the bench.

Although Plymouth looked anything but a bottom of the table side, Bradford were generally on top in the first half through the wing play of Reid and Compton, who cut inside to force a fine save from Jake Cole and who also brought a challenge from Onismor Bhasera, which earned a booking for the left-back.

There was also a clash of heads between City’s Hanson and Darren Purse, who both required treatment before continuing.

Captain Flynn went close in the 44th minute to converting a cross from Compton only for Purse to hook the ball off the line.

Purse departed at the break but the Pilgrims still took the lead in the 58th minute when captain Simon Walton fired home from their first corner of the game, the ball striking team-mate Craig Sutherland inside the six-yard box before it crossed the line.

Fagan threatened for City but his shot was blocked by Durrell Betty.

Cole blocked a far post header from Hanson as City strove for the equaliser, introducing Nahki Wells for Fagan.

They were finally rewarded as Reid crossed low from the left and Hanson struck a first-timer into the roof of the net.

Bhasera was sent off in stoppage time for a second yellow following a foul on Reid but Plymouth held on.

For in-depth match report and reaction, read Sports Monday, free with Monday’s Yorkshire Post newspaper.