Bradford City 2 Chesterfield 0: "Average performance, fantastic result" says Bantams boss Stuart McCall

editorial image
Have your say

BRADFORD City made it a quickfire second double of the season by defeating struggling Chesterfield at Valley Parade thanks to their two scorers in the previous game.

Mark Marshall, who came off the bench to score the equaliser before setting up the winner for Jordy Hiwula against Northampton, earned a starting role out on the flank and rewarded manager Stuart McCall's by scoring the 22nd-minute opener.

Tony McMahon holds off Reece Mitchell as he runs down the flank

Tony McMahon holds off Reece Mitchell as he runs down the flank

His fellow scorer against the Cobblers, Huddersfield loanee Hiwula, then made it 2-0 on the stroke of half-time.

It brought a welcome home win for play-off contenders City after three consecutive Valley Parade draws.

"We have played better at home this season and had to settle for a point," Bradford boss Stuart McCall said.

"We were disappointed with the second half. We scored a second goal just before half-time, it was a great time to score and wanted to go out and turn the screw but we didn't manage that.

Colin Doyle makes an impressive save for the Bantams

Colin Doyle makes an impressive save for the Bantams

"Chesterfield were always a threat so we had to settle for 2-0.

"To get results on a consistent basis you need consistent performances and we haven't always had the results our performances merited. So this was an average performance but a fantastic result."

A calf injury sustained in training by James Hanson meant that new signing Alex Jones was immediately brought into the City attack alongside Hiwula.

The 22-year-old Scot has scored 10 goals in 21 games on loan for Port Vale this season before signing a two-and-a-half-year deal with the Bantams from Birmingham City in midweek.

Jordy Hiwula is felled

Jordy Hiwula is felled

Romain Vincelot dropped back into central defence alongside Nathaniel Knight-Percival and Tony McMahon came in at right-back, leaving Rory McArdle and Stephen Darby on the bench.

Former Sheffield United striker Ched Evans, with seven goals in 22 games this season, led the Spireites attack and the visitors were led by former City midfield man Gary Liddle.

Knight-Percival had the best of the early chances when he chested wide at the far post a free-kick from McMahon after a clash of heads between Ian Evatt and Timothee Dieng.

In response, Rai Simmons whistled a shot over the bar from the edge of the area after a mix-up between McMahon and Dieng.

Colin Doyle then went full length to hold a header from Evatt from Chesterfield's third corner of the half.

Stung into action, Hiwula and Josh Cullen moved the ball out to the right and Marshall sped down the channel before drilling home a low shot inside Ryan Fulton's far post to make it 1-0 in the 22nd minute.

It was panic stations for a spell at the back for the visitors and James Meredith saw an angled drive go narrowly over before Jones's appeal for a trip by Fulton went unheeded.

The visitors struck back with Evans getting the better of the central defenders on halfway and just failing to connect on the slide with a return pass from Reece Mitchell before striking the far post with a shot from the edge of the area.

There was another clash of heads, between Hiwula and Liam O'Neil, as they challenged for a cross from Marshall andafter Fulton saved from Marshall and McMahon, City made it 2-0.

McMahon played the ball down the right, Cullen beat the offside trap and squared for Hiwula to sidefoot into an empty net - simple and effective.

City goalkeeper Colin Doyle blocked from Evans at the start of the second period as Chesterfield attempted a comeback.

Evans continued to pose a threat and a shot from the edge of the area brought another save from Doyle at the foot of his post.

Chesterfield made a couple of changes as City regained control only for Law to waste a good chance after being set up by Cullen.

Law also blazed over after Fulton beat down a fierce shot from Marshall before debutant Jones was rested and Darby came on.

Law then turned provider but Hiwula hit into the side-netting unmarked 12 yards out.

A third goal seemed inevitable but Law hit wide of the far post after McMahon threaded the ball into the area.

Marshall also weaved his way into the area but saw his effort blocked by the legs of Fulton.