Bradford City 2 Rotherham United 3: Millers win five-goal derby thriller

Have your say

Bradford City lost out to Rotherham United in a five-goal thriller at Valley Parade in this League Two Yorkshire derby, writes Robert Gledhill.

Former Doncaster Rovers midfield man Ricky Ravenhill made his Bradford City debut in this Yorkshire derby after signing a two-month loan deal from Notts County.

Bermudan Nahki Wells was also given a start up front after his stunning FA Cup goal against Rochdale. He partnered Craig Fagan in a new-look City strike force.

Rotherham, who included former City player Gareth Evans, made four changes from their FACup side, Johnny Mullins stepping into central defence in place of ineligible Bantams loan signing Guy Branston.

Jon Harley returned at left-back, Danny Schofield replaced Luke Foster in midfield and on-loan Reading striker Brett Williams came in for Chris Holroyd.

Luke O’Brien blocked on the line a diving header from Danny Harrison in the second minute before Rotherham lost Evans with a damaged ankle.

Danny Schofield also headed off the line from Steve Williams’s header from a corner before the Millers struck.

Brett Williams crossed from the right and O’Brien was adjudged to have handled, leaving Lewis Grabban to send Jon McLaughlin the wrong way from the penalty spot in the 22nd minute.

City struck back with Chris Mitchell heading home from Jack Compton’s cross in the 35th minute.

The Millers struck twice before the hour mark to take a 3-1 lead.

Alex Revell scored off the far post with a shot from just inside the area in the 51st minute before Marshall converted at the far post after McLaughlin had pushed aside a low drive from Schofield.

Bradford made an attacking triple substitution in the 70th minute, bringing on James Hanson, Ross Hannah and Kyel Reid and the Millers responded by introducing defender Tom Newey for Brett Williams.

There was high drama in stoppage time when City captain Michael Flynn converted one penalty after Taylor handled but then had another spot kick saved from virtually the last kick of the game after his volley had been handled on the line, leaving the Millers 3-2 winners.

For reports and reaction read Sports Monday, free inside your Yorkshire Post.