BRIAN LAWS has stepped down as the manager of Burnley at the request of chairman Barry Kilby.
Laws future was plunged into doubt following yesterday's home defeat at the hands of former club Scunthorpe, with operational director Brendan Flood confirming talks would be held over the 49-year-old's future.
But the club decided to part company with Laws sooner, confirming this afternoon he had been asked to step aside from his post.
Chairman Kilby said on the club's official website recent results were behind the decision as the Clarets' attempts to launch a promotion push continue to falter.
Kilby said: "I have telephoned Brian today and have asked him to step down as manager of Burnley Football Club.
"Everyone is naturally disappointed and frustrated that recent results have not gone as we would have hoped.
"The board of directors has therefore decided that we need a fresh approach in order to achieve our goal of returning to the Premier League."
The club said a further statement would be released on Thursday.
Laws took the Burnley job just weeks after being sacked by then-Championship club Sheffield Wednesday last December.