Doncaster Rovers 1 Oldham 1: Jones stakes claim for permanent Rovers role

Doncaster Rovers' caretaker manager Rob Jones and youth coach Paul Stanicliffe direct operations in the League One game against Oldham Athletic (Picture: Andrew Roe).
Doncaster Rovers' caretaker manager Rob Jones and youth coach Paul Stanicliffe direct operations in the League One game against Oldham Athletic (Picture: Andrew Roe).
Have your say

managerless duo Doncaster and Oldham are in the bottom four after this result.

But that has not prevented Rovers caretaker Rob Jones from throwing his hat into the ring to claim the job on a permanent basis.

After his home bow in charge, Jones, who has been in charge of the development squad side for the past 12 months, said: “I love being in this position, it is a privileged position and it is what I want to do and I think the passion the players showed typifies where I am coming from.”

The central defender added: “We are now at a point where the players believe they can do well. They believe we have the players amongst us to do well and believe they can move the club forward.”

On Saturday, Jones was up against David Dunn, in his first game as interim Latics chief following the sacking of Darren Kelly.

Jones was forced into making an early substitution as striker Andy Williams was involved in a collision and had to leave the field with concussion. Dany N’Guessan came on to replace him and partner Curtis Main.

Rovers should have taken the lead but captain James Coppinger sliced his volley from eight yards over the bar.

They did take the lead, however, when Cameron Stewart’s free-kick found Andy Butler at the back post and his looping header beat David Cornell.

It took just 10 minutes for Oldham to draw level through a disputed goal from Jonathan Burn, whose header from a corner alooked to have been cleared off the line by Coppinger but the linesman signalled that the ball had crossed for a goal.

Cornell somehow saved Stewart’s dipping free-kick and Oscar Gobern’s diving header bounced down off the bar but, despite claims for a goal, the referee refused to award it.

Stewart and N’Guessan posed Oldham problems after the break and with 20 minutes to go N’Guessan went close.

He collected the ball in midfield, burst past the defence and hit a fierce shot but Cornell was again Oldham’s saviour

Cedric Evina also took heavy punishment as he stretched the visitors going down the right and the outstanding N’Guessan headed narrowly over from a cross from Stewart.

Butler also headed over from a corner and had claims for a penalty from another rejected as Connor Brown appeared to handle.

To add to Doncaster’s frustration, Gary MacKenzie’s follow up shot was cleared off the line to leave rovers on seven points from their opening eight games.

Doncaster Rovers: Stuckmann, Coppinger, MacKenzie, Butler, Taylor-Sinclair, Evina, Keegan, Gobern (Wellens 66), Stewart, Main, Williams (N’Guessan 7). Unused substitutes: Chaplow, Mandeville, Marosi, Paul McKay, Middleton.

Oldham Athletic: Cornell, Dieng, James Wilson, Burn (Brian Wilson 70), Brown, Croft, Jones, Philliskirk, Winchester, Yeates (Green 82), Poleon (Stankevicius 64). Unused substitutes: Coleman, O’Connell, Bove, Eckersley.

Referee: A Woolmer (Northamptonshire).

Man of the match: Dany N’Guessan.