Deflected effort gives Halifax FA Cup date with Wanderers

After 210 minutes of football, it was more of a surprise than an assumption that Guiseley and Halifax Town could be separated.

Adam Boyes scores for Guiseley but FC Halifax went on to win in extra-time (Picture: Steve Riding).
Adam Boyes scores for Guiseley but FC Halifax went on to win in extra-time (Picture: Steve Riding).

In the end, it was unfortunate for the Lions. James Bolton won the game for Town, his rifled 30-yard effort deflected past Steve Drench with only seven minutes left, setting up a match with League Two Wycombe Wanderers in the first round.

The game was bizarrely similar to Saturday’s tie, Sam Walker once again opening the scoring in the first half for Town and Adam Boyes once again levelling the tie for the Lions with normal time running out.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Guiseley had pressed effectively in the opening stages, but as the first half wore on, they tired. Town seemed to have more space on the ball than their opposition, and started creating chances.

Soon after, Town went ahead. Kevin Roberts found space, sending a low cross into the area, which Walker met instinctively to send it past Drench with his right boot.

Opportunities came for the hosts after the restart, Will Hatfield dictating play from the centre.

Craddock shot wide after latching onto Ryan Toulson’s low cross on the hour mark, and Luke Porritt’s shot was sensationally stopped by Glennon’s feet after an exceptional delivery by Danny Lowe from the left.

However, it came down to Boyes, Saturday’s hero. Already responsible for an additional 90 minutes, he provided another 30, turning and firing home from mere yards out after a corner kick bobbled around the Town penalty area.

Boyes could have had a second, firing a dangerous volley at goal after Craddock knocked it down for him, but Glennon was equal to it. Drench made a series of fine saves before full-time and Guiseley smacked the bar twice in the first period of extra time, Danny Lowe’s cross confusing a stranded Glennon and Adam Lockwood powering a shot against the frame of the goal.

However, it was Bolton’s effort that decided the game.

Guiseley: Drench, Parker, Lowe, Lockwood, Lawlor, Boyes, Craddock, Hatfield, Nicky Boshell, Rob Atkinson, Marsden. Unused substitutes: Toulson, Danny Boshell, Hall, Steve Dickinson, Daniel Atkinson, Porritt, Morton.

FC Halifax Town: Glennon, Bolton, Matty Brown, Nathaniel Brown, McManus, James, Wroe, Roberts, Burrow, Walker, Tuton. Unused substitutes: Porter, Bencherif, Hattersley, Miller, Bradley, Hillhouse,MacDonald.

Referee: R Wigglesworth (Doncaster).