Home-town blues for Reds captain Cranie

BARNSLEY manager Danny Wilson was satisfied with a point from Huish Park despite captain and central defender Martin Cranie scoring an own-goal.

Barnsley manager Danny Wilson (Picture: Steve Taylor).

“It was a great draw at the end. For the first 45 minutes we dominated the game and possibly should have had more goals to take in at half-time,” said Wilson, whose side are seventh.

“It was quite the opposite in the second half, but I’m delighted to come here and get something to take back with us.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Cranie, a Yeovil lad, diverted home A-Jay Leitch-Smith’s shot with 14 minutes to go after the hosts had dominated the closing stages.

Barnsley are unbeaten in four League One games and can look forward with confidence.

Conor Hourihane gave the Reds the lead in the 27th minute when he cracked home a shot from 25 yards which flew past Chris Weale via the slightest of deflections off Joe Edwards.

After the break the hosts rallied and substitute Kieffer Moore forced Adam Davies into a smart stop at his near post.

Edwards also went close and Leitch-Smith saw a crashing drive flick off Luke Berry and drift narrowly wide.

At the other end, Reds youngster Brad Abbott drilled a shot straight at Weale.

Yeovil scored the goal their second-half display deserved when Leitch-Smith lashed in a shot and Cranie could only divert the ball past a stunned Davies.

Hourihane was forced to clear Moore’s header off the line as the Glovers almost grabbed victory.

Yeovil Town: Weale, Sokolik, Martin, Nugent, Smith, Dawson (Ralph 66), Edwards, Gillett (Moore 45), Foley, Hayter (Hoskins 66), Leitch-Smith. Unused substitutes: Moloney, Krysiak, Nana Ofori-Twumasi, Brooks.

Barnsley: Davies, Brown, Cranie, Nyatanga, Dudgeon, Treacy (Jennings 30), Berry, Abbott, Hourihane, Winnall (Hemmings 65), Lita (Cole 74). Unused substitutes: Turnbull, Digby, Mvoto, Bree.

Referee: G Ward (Surrey).

Man of the match: Conor Hourihane.