Huddersfield Town 2 Plymouth Argyle 3 - Terriers' young guns exit FA Cup with pride intact

HUDDERSFIELD Town exited the FA Cup at the third round stage for the third year running but that fact does not do justice to the performance from their young players in a narrow defeat to Plymouth Argyle.

Huddersfield Town 2-3 Plymouth Argyle. Picture: Jonathan Gawthorpe.

Head coach Carlos Corberan rested the 11 players who had started the club's last five games, which were squeezed into a 17-day period. The Terriers outfield players only had a combined seven starts and 19 substitute appearances between them in the Championship this season.

Despite their lack of experience, they led twice and looked bright in attack but Plymouth's experience eventually told, with Danny Mayor causing constant problems down the left-hand side, assisting two of the Devon club's goals.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Strikes from Ryan Hardie, Panutche Camara and Plymouth captain Joe Edwards cancelled out first-half efforts from Romoney Crichlow and Aaron Rowe.

Mustapha Olagunju and Pat Jones were drafted in for their senior debuts for Town while Kieran Phillips and Alex Vallejo started their first games for Huddersfield.

Ben Hamer captained the side as Huddersfield's most senior player in what was his 350th appearance in domestic football.

Midfielder Vallejo sat in the heart of the home side's defence, proving to be a cool and calming presence for the younger players around him.

Plymouth showed their intent by making just two changes from their League One victory over Gillingham.

Huddersfield Town 2-3 Plymouth Argyle. Picture: Jonathan Gawthorpe.

Tyrese Fornah replaced the injured Lewis Macleod while Jerome Opoku was deployed in the centre of Argyle's defence in place of Nill Canavan.

Despite the lack of experience within the Huddersfield ranks, they took the lead after just four minutes.

A strong run from Josh Austerfield saw him get to the byline and find Kieran Phillips who forced Michael Cooper into a smart save.

From the subsequent corner, Crichlow glanced a header across the face of goal and into the net.

Plymouth responded well to the early setback and almost equalised immediately but Jaden Brown made a fantastic block on the line to deny Joe Edwards.

It was Hardie who opened the visitors' account as Luke Jephcott slid the ball through for the striker who squeezed the ball in at the near post.

A remarkable strike from Rowe restored the advantage just after the half-hour mark as the 20-year-old cut in from the right and unleashed a rasping effort into the top corner from approximately 25 yards.

Huddersfield had battled hard but were pegged back before half time as Mayor clipped a ball across the box for Camara to control and finish.

Hamer was forced into action early in the second half as he tipped a ferocious strike onto the crossbar.

Plymouth took the lead - one they wouldn't relinquish - for the first time with 70 minutes on the clock as Mayor drove to the byline and cut it back for Edwards to finish from close range.

Huddersfield had shouts for a penalty turned down in stoppage time as they exited the FA Cup at the hands of Plymouth for the first time in their history.

Huddersfield Town: Huddersfield Town: Hamer, Duhaney, Olagunju (Diarra 77), Vallejo,Crichlow, Brown (Jackson 77); Austerfield (Camara 83), Daly (Bright 83), Rowe; Phillips, Jones (Aarons 71). Unused substitutes: Schofield, Ayina, Elliott, Sharrock-Peplow.

Plymouth Argyle: Cooper; Aimson, Opoku, Watts; Fornah (Wootton 85); Edwards, Camara, Mayor, Grant (Moore 85); Hardie (Nouble 77), Jephcott (Telford 82). Unused substitutes: McCormick, Ruddy, Canavan, Reeves.

Referee: Martin Coy

Support The Yorkshire Post and become a subscriber today. Your subscription will help us to continue to bring quality news to the people of Yorkshire. In return, you'll see fewer ads on site, get free access to our app and receive exclusive members-only offers. Click HERE to subscribe.