Huddersfield 0 Ipswich Town 2: Winless run drags on as Terriers look over their shoulders

Huddersfield Town boss Mark Robins.
Huddersfield Town boss Mark Robins.
Share this article
Have your say

HUDDERSFIELD TOWN slumped to a home defeat to Ipswich Town which stretched their winless run to eight games and leaves them looking nervously at the relegation zone.

Defeat leaves Mark Robins’s side just seven points off the drop although there are only five games remaining.

Winger Paul Anderson boosted Ipswich’s play-off hopes with an early belter to help his side claim all three points.

The visitors had already gone close twice through Daryl Murphy when Anderson curled in a beauty from the edge of the box after just six minutes.

Murphy, who also had other efforts in the first half, then doubled the lead on 33 minutes by poking home.

Christophe Berra turned the ball back in after Huddersfield only half-cleared a corner and the unmarked Murphy struck from close range for his 12th goal of the season.

Nothing went right for Huddersfield, who are now without a win in eight games and in danger of being sucked into a relegation battle.

Their night was summed up in the 39th minute when Ipswich keeper Dean Gerken made a hash of a clearance and left himself open to a lob.

The ball fell kindly for Huddersfield midfielder Oscar Gobern just outside the box but he took a swing and missed it.

Nahki Wells also created a chance for Danny Ward just before the break but the winger, who was off balance, shot wide.

There were no such problems for Ipswich, who controlled possession and had further chances through the industrious Jonny Williams. The on-loan Crystal Palace star was involved when Luke Chambers saw a goalbound effort deflected over by Anthony Gerrard in the 18th minute.

Williams also twice put Murphy through in quick succession only for Huddersfield keeper Alex Smithies to deny him.

The Wales midfielder, 20, then shot straight at Smithies after speeding past Adam Clayton.

Huddersfield boss Robins made changes in a bid to pep up his side, with Sean Scannell coming on at half-time.

Academy product Duane Holmes entered the fray early in the second half and the pair did help lift Town’s gloomy show.

There were half-chances for Wells and Scannell, Holmes set up Gobern, who got Huddersfield’s first shot on target with 10 minutes left, with Gerken saving with his legs.

Huddersfield: Smithies, Smith, Gerrard, Lynch, Dixon, Hammill (Scannell 46), Clayton, Gobern, Ward (Bunn 76), Norwood (Holmes 57), Wells. Unused substitutes: Woods, Hogg, Bennett, Clarke.

Ipswich: Gerken, Chambers, Berra, Smith, Cresswell (Mings 60), Anderson, Skuse, Hyam, Hunt (Wordsworth 74), Williams (Richardson 85), Murphy. Unused substitutes: Loach, Henshall, Ebanks-Blake, Nouble.

Referee: M Brown (East Yorkshire).