Huddersfield Town 0 Bournemouth 4: It was poor, admits deflated Robins

Final score.
Final score.
Have your say

HUDDERSFIELD TOWN endured an opening day to forget as Bournemouth ran riot in the West Yorkshire sunshine, writes Richard Sutcliffe.

Ahead after just 25 seconds, Eddie Howe’s Cherries ripped the Terriers apart thanks to two goals from Calum Wilson and a strike apiece by Yann Kermorgant and Marc Pugh.

The visitors could even afford to miss a second half penalty, such was their total dominance on an afternoon when the home fans turned on Mark Robins and his players.

It was the worst possible way to begin a campaign, especially considering how Town had struggled in the final two months of 2013-14 when a ten-game winless run had, at one stage, threatened to drag the club into the relegation fight.

Huddersfield suffered the worst possible start, falling behind to Bournemouth’s first attack. A routine cross from the right flank by Matt Ritchie created the opening for Marc Pugh, who was left all alone by the home defence to pick his spot past Alex Smithies.

Any hopes that falling behind so early might sting Town into action were soon dashed as Bournemouth continued to set the pace.

First, Ritchie brought a save from Smithies who was then relieved to see the same player curl a 20-yard effort just wide of the post.

Not long after, the Town goalkeeper was fortunate to see his reckless rush from his ares go unpunished as Callum Wilson was unable to capitalise due to his shot being blocked by Lee Peltier.

It was a let-off for the host but one that merely put off the inevitable as the Cherries doubled their advantage just after the half-hour when Wilson dispossessed Joel Lynch before beating Smithies with ease.

After that, there was to be no way back for the terriers who fell further behind five minutes into the second half.

Eunan O’Kane’s cross from the right flank created an opening for Pugh, who saw his effort superbly blocked by Smithies only for Yann Kermorgant to fire in the rebound.

Wilson added a fourth just after the hour, as Smithies somehow allowed his tame shot to trickle into the net.

It was an awful blunder and one that the Town goalkeeper had looked to compound on 76 minutes when he tripped Wilson and referee Scott Duncan pointed to the spot.

However, Smithies made amends by saving the resulting penalty.

Town did have their moments despite being outclassed, with Oliver Norwood hitting the crossbar in the first half and Lee Camp having to react quickly to tip a Matt Crooks header over.

But, in truth, Huddersfield got exactly what they deserved and there will need to be a huge improvement in the coming weeks.

Many Huddersfield fans left the ground after the fourth goal and boss Mark Robins admitted: “It was poor. It was difficult to explain and sometimes that is what happens in sport.

“It was the first game of the season when everyone is in great spirits and this puts a real dampener on it. I will fight but it’s really disappointing because we have worked hard over pre-season.”

Fans booed Town off at the end and Robins added: “The supporters having a go at me or the players are the same ones who cheer us when things go right. They want to be entertained and we have to give them that.

“The players have to grow up and take responsibility. The system we play only works when the players put a shift in and too many players decided to take a day off.

“It’s still early days and we dump this result in the waste bin and move on.”