Huddersfield Town 1 Bristol City 2: Wasteful Terriers pay the penalty

Have your say

HUDDERSFIELD Town missed a penalty and succumbed to two goals from set pieces as they failed to overcome fellow strugglers Bristol City.

Penalty culprit Emyr Huws and striker Nahki Wells also departed with injuries as Town failed to build on their fine win at St Andrews despite a cracking 35-yard 84th-minute goal from substitute striker Harry Bunn.

Huddersfield made one enforced change from the side which had won at Birmingham last week, Jonathan Hogg coming into central midfield for knee injury victim Dean Whitehead.

They made a poor start, however, against the team sitting just outside the drop zone and went behind in the seventh minute against the wind and driving rain.

Bristol won a free-kick on the left and Jonathan Kodjia glanced home the delivery from Marlon Pack.

Town should have been back it in when Joe Lolley sent Wells down the left channel and the striker had his heels clipped by Luke Ayling for a penalty.

Huws did not put enough power behind his low spot kick and Frank Fielding parried it for Aden Flint to slide to safety before Huws could knock home the rebound.

Huws soon had to depart after taking a knock and was replaced by Kyle Dempsey.

Town went 2-0 down in the 29th minute after conceding another disputed free-kick as Bristol pressed down the left. This time, Flint was unmarked as he headed home from Luke Freeman’s chip to the far post.

It could have been worse as Aaron Wilbraham failed to connect with a driven cross from Elliott Bennett in the 40th minute and Town responded by forcing two parried saves from Fielding before the break, though Liam Moore also volleyed over for the Robins.

Striker Ishmael Miller replaced Jamie Paterson for the start of the second half for Town as the Robins stuck with their starting XI.

Town lost Nahki Wells on the hour with a foot injury and Bunn became their third substitution in a bid to hit back.

They went close when Joe Lolley cut inside and saw his shot shave the outside of the post in the 66th minute.

Freeman had the opportunity to make it 3-0 but chipped over from 35 yards after intercepting a poor clearance from goalkeeper Jed Steer, who was struggling to get back in his goal.

Chilwell went close after racing on to a return pass from Bunn but Bristol were content to sit back and hit on the break.

It almost proved costly as Bunn let fly from 35 yards into the roof of the net and then Kyle Dempsey burst through in the crowded area only to see Fielding stick out a boot to prevent an 88th-minute equaliser.

Terriers boss David Wagner admitted he was disappointed by the result if not the performance and added: “Parts of the game were not good and the result was disappointing.

“We lost because of ourselves and not because the opponent was stronger than us.

“We did not defend the set pieces well enough and we did not take our chances. We need to be more clinical.

“Maybe there were too many passes but we created two excellent chances but didn’t score them and we missed a penalty and if you do that it is difficult to win.”

Wells is Town’s regular penalty taker but Huws took responsibility and Wagner said: “Emyr had problems with his hamstrings and I think he had those problems when he took the penalty but I did not know that at the time. If I knew he would not have taken the penalty.

“Nahki was fouled for the penalty and usually he would take the ball but he didn’t. Maybe he wasn’t ready to take it.”

Wagner added: “In the past three games we defended set pieces very well but here we didn’t. Mistakes are part of the game but we made two mistakes too many.”