Huddersfield Town 4 Bolton 1: We should have scored more, admits Powell

Huddersfield's Emyr Huws (left) scores his side's third goal.
Huddersfield's Emyr Huws (left) scores his side's third goal.
Have your say

Emyr Huws scored two and made a third as Huddersfield clinched back-to-back victories with a 4-1 home win over fellow strugglers Bolton.

Welsh midfielder Huws, 21, turned the game around after Town went behind to Liam Feeney’s strike after just two minutes and 20 seconds.

Huddersfield Town.

Huddersfield Town.

Former Swansea and Manchester City star Huws, on a season-long loan from Wigan, equalised for Town on the stroke of half-time. He then set up Mustapha Carayol before getting his second with a flying header. Joel Lynch made it four for the Terriers with six minutes remaining.

A win at Charlton on Tuesday was followed by a 4-1 home victory against Bolton and manager Chris Powell said: “We scored four but it probably could, and should, have been more.

“In the Championship you rarely have a 90-minute total performance but we got close to that with 85 minutes. If the players get anywhere near their potential they can be a real force.”

Huws was brought in to replace Jacob Butterfield, sold to Derby for £5million at the end of the transfer window.

The Wales international scored a stunning free-kick to inspire Town’s first win of the season at Charlton on Tuesday and followed that with a match-of-the-match display against Bolton.

Huws, still working his way back to match fitness after missing the last two months of last season with an ankle injury, left the field to a standing ovation in the 77th minute with his job done.

A first home win looked unlikely when Dean Moxey’s crossfield ball caught Jason Davidson out of position and Feeney got in behind him, cutting inside and firing home across goal.

Huws had chance to repeat his goal at The Valley and respond straightaway for Town but this time his free-kick ballooned into the stand.

Huddersfield were almost level when Davidson’s cross flicked off Prince-Desir Gouano and struck the crossbar.

Sean Scannell’s drive was saved at the near post by Ben Amos before a blunder by the keeper almost gave Huddersfield an equaliser.

Under pressure from Harry Bunn, Amos completely missed his kick but recovered quickly enough to clear.

Bolton were stung in first-half stoppage time with a goal straight from the training ground. Bunn’s short corner found Huws on the edge of the box and the midfielder unleashed an unstoppable drive beyond Amos.

Two minutes after the restart Huws was in the thick of the action again, heading Carayol’s cross into the side netting.

Town went ahead in the 51st minute when Huws supplied the pass for Carayol to step inside two defenders and curl a finish into the bottom corner.

Huddersfield were well on top and Huws added his second in the 74th minute with a downward header from Carayol’s cross. Amos parried the ball as it bounced up but couldn’t keep it out.

The misery was complete for Amos when rampant Town made it four with six minutes left.

Centre-back Lynch robbed Lawrie Wilson in the box and smashed the ball home between Amos and the near post.

Bolton finished the game with 10 men after defender Derik Osede was sent off for a second bookable offence a minute from time after bringing down sub Nahki Wells on the edge of the box.

For the latest from the match check out The Yorkshire Post’s live blog at...

The YP live blog