Lee in the clear but Huddersfield facing FA probe over trouble

Alan Lee
Alan Lee
Have your say

ALAN LEE has escaped punishment for the alleged elbow incident that sparked a post-match melee as Huddersfield Town ended their 12-game winless run by beating Crystal Palace.

But both the Terriers and Ian Holloway’s Eagles could find themselves in disciplinary trouble after the Football Association last night confirmed an investigation was under way into the unseemly scenes.

Players from both sides squared up to each other in the immediate wake of referee Carl Boyeson blowing the final whistle to signal Town had won 1-0.

Stewards were then needed to patrol the tunnel area as Holloway vented his anger at officials and staff over what he was adamant had been a clear elbow by Lee 
on a Palace player in stoppage time.

With the veteran striker having only recently served a three-game ban following a clash with Hull City’s Alex Bruce in December, he could have been facing another lengthy spell on the sidelines.

However, the Yorkshire Post has learned that Lee will not face any further action due to Boyeson having seen the incident clearly and decided no offence had been committed.

The news is not so good, though, for the two clubs with an FA spokesman confirming last night: “We are looking into what happened at the end of the match and the mass confrontation that took place on the pitch.”

As unseemly as the post-match scenes at the John Smith’s Stadium were, the most important part of Wednesday night was that Town’s long run without a win in the league was over.

Goalscoring hero James Vaughan was quick to pay tribute to temporary management duo, Mark Lillis and Steve Eyre, for the manner in which they have steadied the Terriers in the wake of Simon Grayson’s dismissal.

“The gaffers have come in and been fantastic,” said the striker, whose goal against Palace was his first in 10 outings. “They have told us how they want us to play in real depth.

“The lads have taken on board what they want us to do and it has been spot on. It was the same against Leicester in the Cup, when we were very unlucky not to win. They have to take a lot of credit for our first win in a long time.”

Town travel to Derby County tomorrow looking to build on an encouraging week under Lillis and Eyre.

Vaughan added: “It is another game we want to win. There are three points there at stake and we will prepare properly for the game. We just have to kick on now and keep working together.

“On a personal level, obviously getting a goal was fantastic. But the feeling I had at the final whistle when we had finally won the game was much more important.

“We stuck together and ground it out. I thought the tactics sere spot on and there was a real desire to hold on to the win. Don’t be fooled – it means more to the players than anyone that we have won a game.”